Designed to prepare students for a career in coding, Principles of Health Information Management provides an introduction to the HIM function in hospitals including the structure and use of health information, health record data management, health record documentation, healthcare delivery systems, and regulatory and compliance issues.This course also provides an overview of key HIM topics including computer systems, privacy and security, management of healthcare data sets, research and regulatory compliance issues.
- Introduce health information management concepts common to allied health professionals.
- Describe characteristics of health care delivery and settings in the United States.
- Delineate career opportunities for health information management professionals.
- Describe types of patient records, including documentation issues associated with each.
- Describe numbering and filing systems and record storage and circulation methods, including the electronic health record.
- Explain indexes, registers, and health data collection.
- Introduce legal aspects of health information management.
- Provide an overview of coding and reimbursement issues.
- Compare paper and electronic health record systems.