This complete and interactive online course explores the language used by medical professionals to accurately describe the human body and associated components, conditions, processes and procedures. Understanding commonly used medical terminology is foundational to medical record coding and other healthcare disciplines.
- Covers the key body systems including
- the Human Body,
- the Skeletal System,
- the Muscular System,
- the Cardiovascular System,
- the Lymphatic and Immune Systems,
- the Respiratory System,
- the Digestive System,
- the Urinary System,
- the Nervous System,
- Special Senses: the Eyes and Ears,
- the Integumentary System, and
- the Reproductive System.
- Medical terminology for body structure and body function
- Medical terminology’s use of word parts such as roots, suffixes, and prefixes to construct meaningful terms
- The symbols used in healthcare documentation
- Abbreviations used by healthcare providers
- The application of this new language in the field of healthcare
• Interactive, online, self-paced instruction
• Ebook integrated into the course and included in the price
• 16 lessons
• Student’s experience will vary but 38-58 hours should be allowed for completion
• 24 x 7 online access, anywhere in the world with Internet access
• Course available for 16 weeks from initial enrollment
• Online, self-paced instruction
• Non-lab course
• Multimedia course delivery incorporating video and audio presentations
• Structured lesson plan which includes Check list, Objectives, Presentation, and Quiz to ensure mastery of material
• Final exam
• Course includes Pronounce, a tool that helps students hear the pronunciation of the course’s words and records how students articulate the words for immediate feedback on whether the pronunciation matches. Can also be used on a smartphone.
• No experience required and no prerequisites!
Angela Lehoux, BS, CCS, CDIP, CIC, COC, CPC-I
Director, Training and Operations
Angela Lehoux is a coder with 25 years of experience in inpatient, outpatient and emergency room coding; an instructor and education specialist for Libman Education courses; and Director of Education for Libman Education where she is responsible for ensuring that our training is accurate, easily accessible, and challenging. Angela believes in the transformational power of education to help individuals achieve their personal and career goals and for institutions to achieve operating success. She develops and reviews course content and is the teacher for Libman Education’s Medical Coder Career Program (MCCP), courses on ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS, and review courses for the CCA, CCS, CIC, and COC credentials. Angela holds a bachelor’s degree in Healthcare Management.
About Cengage Learning
More than 3 million students have taken courses from Cengage Learning, the education and technology company built for learners. Cengage puts students first and creates learning experiences that build confidence and momentum toward the future students want. Cengage’s flexible tools give students access to content where and when they need it, so that the student can learn in sync with their work and life.
The eBook for this course is included in the tuition. There are no additional books to purchase.
Medical Terminology for Health Professions, 8th Edition by Ann Ehrlich, Carol L. Schroeder, Laura Ehrlich, and Katrina A. Schroeder
Medical Terminology for Health Professions simplifies the process of memorizing complex medical terminology by focusing on the important word parts–common prefixes, suffixes and root words–to provide a foundation for learning hundreds of medical terms. Organized by body system, chapters begin with an overview of the terminology related to the body’s structures and functions, proceed through diseases and disorders, and end with diagnostic procedures and treatments.