Practical, hands-on experience assigning ICD-10-CM diagnosis and CPT (and HCPCS) procedure codes to a wide range of outpatient health records: physician-based, ambulatory, clinics, emergency room, and surgical day care.
Perfect for coding students or beginner coders, a total of 154 carefully selected case studies provide ample practice. Practical Coding Experience: Outpatient will take you from beginner to intermediate level coding skills.
- Real-world coding experience to transition you from books and theory to workforce ready:
- Code in strict adherence to current definitions and guidance for assigning ICD-10-CM and CPT codes for diagnosis and outpatient procedures.
- Apply the classification system, conventions and official guidelines accurately and with confidence
- Capture diagnoses that meet the UHDDS definition of a secondary diagnosis
- Learn how to select the proper CPT code(s) to capture the entire procedure and apply modifiers correctly
- Instructor available on-call to answer your questions.
- Carefully selected case studies offer realistic outpatient coding challenges: learn to code from Operative Notes, History and Physicals (H&Ps), radiology reports, laboratory results, clinic notes, and anesthesia notes.
- Validate coding accuracy according to documentation in the health record. Identify and resolve potential issues between the data coded and the supporting documentation.
- Demonstrate proficiency in regulations pertaining to the HIPAA Privacy Rule and the American Recovery Act (ARRA) requirements.
- Work in accordance with ethical standards required as an allied health professional.
Practical Coding Experience: Outpatient provides the coder with practice in real world coding:
- to sharpen coding skills in preparation for a job interview
- to position yourself as a skilled coder ready for career advancement
- to ensure your coding skills are up to any coding challenge
- to receive meaningful feedback and identify areas needing additional study
- to prepare for the types of records seen on coding credential exams
Interested in inpatient coding? See Practical Coding Experience: Inpatient
Or purchase them together and save! See Practical Coding Experience: Hospital Services
Practical Coding Experience – Outpatient
Detailed Course Syllabus
1. Coding Review
Review characteristics and conventions of the ICD-10-CM classification system.
2. Basic Principles of CPT
Review CPT organization, structure and guidelines. Practice applying CPT codes in each body system.
3. Ambulatory Health Records Coding Practice
Code case studies from ambulatory surgical medical records of various healthcare settings.
4. Physician-Based Health Record Coding Practice
Code case studies for physician-based records and clinic visits.
5. Advanced Ambulatory Health Record Coding Practice
Code advanced case studies from ambulatory surgical medical records of various healthcare settings.
6. Advanced Physician-Based Health Record Coding Practice
Review CPT organization, structure, and guidelines. Practice applying CPT codes in each body system.
The final assessment will consist of 50 multiple choice questions covering coding guidelines and coding case scenarios of outpatient services.
Special pricing available for groups. Train your entire team!
|How Many In Your Group?
||Group Discount %
||Contact Us for Your Custom Price Quote:
Angela Gerbert, BS, CCS, CDIP, CIC, COC, CPC-I
Angela Gerbert is a coder with 25 years of experience in inpatient, outpatient and emergency room coding; an instructor and education specialist for Libman Education courses; and Director of Education for Libman Education where she is responsible for ensuring that our training is accurate, easily accessible, and challenging. Angela believes in the transformational power of education to help individuals achieve their personal and career goals and for institutions to achieve operating success. She develops and reviews course content and is the teacher for Libman Education’s Medical Coder Career Program (MCCP), courses on ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS, and review courses for the CCA, CCS, CIC, and COC credentials. Angela holds a bachelor’s degree in Healthcare Management.
Ruth Berger, MS, RHIA
Ruth Berger is the HIT Program Coordinator at Florida Gateway College in Lake City, Florida. She holds the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) certification of Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA). Ruth has a master’s degree in career and technical education from the University of Wisconsin—Stout, a bachelor’s degree in healthcare management from Southern Illinois University, and an associate of applied science in medical records from the College of Lake County. Ruth brings decades of accredited HIM experience to her over 10-year-long teaching role in an associate degree program. She has previously worked in acute care as a manager of coding and compliance, been the assistant director of an HIM department, and held many other roles in HIM. Ruth has served on numerous committees and advisory boards in her career.
“I truly thank you Libman Group for your wonderful courses that have contributed to my success.” — Leslie Jay Corn, CCS, CPC, CCA/ER Coding Analyst/Boston Medical Center OR LogixHealth
“The quality of the courses that Libman presents is excellent” — Pamela S., RN, BSN, MSN, CCDS, Director, Clinical Documentation Improvement, Sharp Healthcare
“I tell everyone about Libman. I find that you have a very wide variety of choices in education that is actually needed and not so many things that aren’t really needed and can be mind boggling just trying to sift through it. Your website is well organized and everything offered is so well laid out and very informative as far as what you are getting, what I need and a very thorough write-up on everything offered. I’m so thrilled to have found your site!” — Sharon T
“I’m pleasantly surprised at your response … really didn’t think I would receive anything at all, so, thank you! I believe that alone says a lot for Libman Education. I would recommend you to other coding professionals.” — Jennifer Jones, CPC
“Thank you! Your company provides outstanding service and we appreciate it!” — Jim Herren, RHIA, CCS, Parkland Health & Hospital System
“LOVEEE Libman! Very happy with the classes I’ve taken.” — Linda C.
“I love the courses at Libman Education.” — Joanne S., CCS