Practical, hands-on experience assigning ICD-10-CM diagnosis and ICD-10-PCS procedure codes to accurately and completely code a wide range of inpatient health records.
Perfect for coding students or beginner coders, a total of 72 carefully selected case studies provide ample practice. Practical Coding Experience: Inpatient will take you from beginner to intermediate level coding skills.
- Real-world coding experience to transition you from books and theory to workforce ready:
- Coding in strict adherence to current standards and regulations for assigning ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS codes for diagnosis and inpatient procedures.
- Apply the classification system, conventions and official guidelines accurately and with confidence
- Select principal diagnosis
- Capture diagnoses that meet the UHDDS definition of a secondary diagnosis
- Describe procedures accurately and completely in ICD-10-PCS code
- Instructor available on-call to answer your questions.
- Carefully selected case studies offer realistic inpatient coding challenges: learn to code from Discharge Summaries, Operative Notes, and History and Physicals (H&Ps).
- Validate coding accuracy according to documentation in the health record. Identify and resolve potential issues between the data coded and the supporting documentation.
- Demonstrate proficiency in regulations pertaining to the HIPAA Privacy Rule and the American Recovery Act (ARRA) requirements.
- Work in accordance with ethical standards required as an allied health professional.
Practical Coding Experience: Inpatient provides the coder with practice in real world coding:
- to sharpen coding skills in preparation for a job interview
- to position yourself as a skilled coder ready for career advancement
- to ensure your coding skills are up to any coding challenge
- to receive meaningful feedback and identify areas needing additional study
- to prepare for the types of records seen on coding credential exams
Interested in outpatient coding? See Practical Coding Experience: Outpatient
Or purchase them together and save! See Practical Coding Experience: Hospital Services
Practical Coding Experience – Inpatient
Detailed Course Syllabus
1. Coding Review
Review characteristics and conventions of the ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS classification system.
2. Inpatient Health Records Coding Practice
Code case studies from inpatient medical records of various healthcare settings.
3. Advanced Inpatient Health Record Coding Practice
Code case studies from more complex inpatient medical records of various healthcare settings.
The final assessment will consist of 25 multiple choice questions covering coding guidelines and coding case scenarios of inpatient services
The level of effort to complete this course, start to finish, is equivalent to 3 CEUs and should take you approximately 3-9 hours to complete. Remember: You have access to the course materials for the full 16-week enrollment period and we encourage you to re-review any materials that are helpful to you.
Certificate of Completion
Upon successful completion of the course work, student will be able to download a Libman Education Certificate of Completion. The Certificate of Completion will list the course as awarding 3 CEUs.
AHIMA: 3 CEUs
This course has been approved for continuing education units (CEUs) for use in fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Granting prior approval from AHIMA does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
AAPC: 3 CEUs
This program has the prior approval of AAPC for continuing education hours. Granting of prior approval in no way constitutes endorsement by AAPC of the program content or the program sponsor.
Special pricing available for groups. Train your entire team!
|How Many In Your Group? ||Group Discount % |
|1 ||Retail Price |
|2-4 ||5% Discount |
|5-20 ||10% Discount |
|21+ ||Contact Us for Your Custom Price Quote: |
Angela Lima, BS, CCS, CDIP, COC, CIC, AAPC-Approved Instructor
Angela Lima is a coder with 25 years of experience in inpatient, outpatient and emergency room coding; an instructor and education specialist for Libman Education courses; and Director of Education for Libman Education where she is responsible for ensuring that our training is accurate, easily accessible, and challenging. Angela believes in the transformational power of education to help individuals achieve their personal and career goals and for institutions to achieve operating success. She develops and reviews course content and is the teacher for Libman Education’s Medical Coder Career Program (MCCP), courses on ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS, and review courses for the CCA, CCS, CIC, and COC credentials. Angela holds a bachelor’s degree in Healthcare Management.
Ruth Berger, MS, RHIA
Ruth Berger is the HIT Program Coordinator at Florida Gateway College in Lake City, Florida. She holds the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) certification of Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA). Ruth has a master’s degree in career and technical education from the University of Wisconsin—Stout, a bachelor’s degree in healthcare management from Southern Illinois University, and an associate of applied science in medical records from the College of Lake County. Ruth brings decades of accredited HIM experience to her over 10-year-long teaching role in an associate degree program. She has previously worked in acute care as a manager of coding and compliance, been the assistant director of an HIM department, and held many other roles in HIM. Ruth has served on numerous committees and advisory boards in her career.
“I truly thank you Libman Group for your wonderful courses that have contributed to my success.” — Leslie Jay Corn, CCS, CPC, CCA/ER Coding Analyst/Boston Medical Center OR LogixHealth
“The quality of the courses that Libman presents is excellent” — Pamela S., RN, BSN, MSN, CCDS, Director, Clinical Documentation Improvement, Sharp Healthcare
“I tell everyone about Libman. I find that you have a very wide variety of choices in education that is actually needed and not so many things that aren’t really needed and can be mind boggling just trying to sift through it. Your website is well organized and everything offered is so well laid out and very informative as far as what you are getting, what I need and a very thorough write-up on everything offered. I’m so thrilled to have found your site!” — Sharon T
“Thank you! Your company provides outstanding service and we appreciate it!” — Jim Herren, RHIA, CCS, Parkland Health & Hospital System
“I’m pleasantly surprised at your response … really didn’t think I would receive anything at all, so, thank you! I believe that alone says a lot for Libman Education. I would recommend you to other coding professionals.” — Jennifer Jones, CPC
“LOVEEE Libman! Very happy with the classes I’ve taken.” — Linda C.
“I love the courses at Libman Education.” — Joanne S., CCS