The Medical Coder Career Program (MCCP) – Outpatient provides rigorous, comprehensive, and progressive online self-paced training to prepare the learner to become a facility-based outpatient coder. Students will learn to code hospital outpatient services including outpatient, emergency department, surgical day care, and ancillary services. Lessons are presented using an interactive platform using instructor-led audio, including challenging quizzes and assessments. Mentoring is available to help ensure successful completion of the course.
In addition to the accurate use of coding guidelines and assignment of ICD-10-CM and CPT® codes, this program also focuses on other essential facility-based outpatient coding skills including:
- Identifying and correcting common coding errors
- Understanding the role of coding in reimbursement
- Recognizing data quality impact and characteristics
- Appreciating the role of compliance in the outpatient setting
- Being aware of the legal aspects of healthcare and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Understanding documentation and coding standards
- Comprehending the Resource-based Relative Value Scale (RBRVS)
- Understanding Ambulatory Payment Classifications (APCs)
The Medical Coder Career Program (MCCP) – Outpatient prepares students to sit for the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) Certified Outpatient Coder (COC) credential. Libman Education’s COC Exam Review offers a comprehensive review of materials covered on the COC credential exam.
For Medical Coder Career Program – Inpatient, click here >
The The Medical Coder Career Program (MCCP) – Outpatient offers a carefully selected curriculum of courses to prepare the student for a position as an outpatient coder. The curriculum includes the following courses:
The Medical Coder Career Program (MCCP) – Outpatient features:
- Multimedia and interactive online course offering independent self-study combined with instructor support. Students may contact or email course content questions to their instructor, or request a consultation with the instructor to facilitate course completion.
- Knowledge checks and assessments throughout the course as well as a practice exam to improve knowledge and test taking skills.
- Online Flexibility! Materials available 24/7. Work at your own pace — save time and travel costs.
- Earn Certificate of Completion and CEUs.
- To receive CEU credit, students must achieve a passing rate on the course assessment(s).
- Course is self-paced. For planning purposes, assume 1-3 hours required for each CEU. With a sustained commitment and studying 5 to 8 hours per week, most students can expect to complete the core curriculum in 2 to 4 months.
- Unlimited course access during enrollment period. Students have up to 6 months to complete the program. During that time lessons already completed may be reviewed at any time.
- Sometimes life can get in the way of your planned completion time. If more time is needed to complete the program, the learner can receive a free extension of 2 months with an option to purchase an additional extension beyond this. Contact Libman Education at [email protected] for more information.
- Financing available through PayPal Credit.
- Price listed is per person/per program. Group rates available upon request.
Angela Lehoux, BS, CCS, CDIP, CIC, COC, CPC-I
Angela Lehoux is a coder with 25 years of experience in inpatient, outpatient and emergency room coding; an instructor and education specialist for Libman Education courses; and Director of Education for Libman Education where she is responsible for ensuring that our training is accurate, easily accessible, and challenging. Angela believes in the transformational power of education to help individuals achieve their personal and career goals and for institutions to achieve operating success. She develops and reviews course content and is the teacher for Libman Education’s Medical Coder Career Program (MCCP), courses on ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS, and review courses for the CCA, CCS, CIC, and COC credentials. Angela holds a bachelor’s degree in Healthcare Management.
“While I’m working I look at the diagnosis that was coded and I even get to view medical records. I’ve been reading the procedure reports, discharge summaries and etc. Before this course, I would read them and most of it would go over my head. Now, I can read them and I think ‘hey, I know what that means.’ It’s pretty cool.” — MCCP Outpatient Student
“I have been working in an outpatient coding setting since January of this year, with no outpatient experience. I came from a physician billing/coding background with an RHIT. After starting the MCCP program, I passed my CCS-P certification in May of this year.” — MCCP Outpatient student
“I truly thank you Libman Group for your wonderful courses that have contributed to my success.” — Leslie Jay Corn, CCS, CPC, CCA/ER Coding Analyst/Boston Medical Center OR LogixHealth
“The quality of the courses that Libman presents is excellent” — Pamela S., RN, BSN, MSN, CCDS, Director, Clinical Documentation Improvement, Sharp Healthcare
“I tell everyone about Libman. I find that you have a very wide variety of choices in education that is actually needed and not so many things that aren’t really needed and can be mind boggling just trying to sift through it. Your website is well organized and everything offered is so well laid out and very informative as far as what you are getting, what I need and a very thorough write-up on everything offered. I’m so thrilled to have found your site!” — Sharon T
“LOVEEE Libman! Very happy with the classes I’ve taken.” — Linda C.
“I love the courses at Libman Education.” — Joanne S., CCS
“Libman has exceeded my expectations so far in every way, with the content of courses, but the hands on with the instructors is one of the best and most genius things to offer! All other companies I’ve seen in my 12 years in this field do not offer this invaluable service with their education. Answers to questions on education content is something that was desperately needed, but to my knowledge, it was/is not offered anywhere else and this is what sets Libman apart from the rest. Also, your high quality education and very knowledgeable instructors.” — coding student
The following are required prior to starting the Medical Coder Career Program – Outpatient:
Knowledge of Anatomy and Physiology:
Libman Education’s Anatomy and Physiology Assessment is completed at the beginning of the MCCP. Students must achieve a score of 70% or higher to pass. The Anatomy and Physiology Assessment is included in the tuition for the MCCP. Students who do not achieve a passing score on the Anatomy and Physiology Assessment will need to successfully complete Libman Education’s Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology(additional fee applies).
Knowledge of Medical Terminology:
Libman Education’s Medical Terminology Assessment is completed at the beginning of the MCCP. Students must achieve a score of 70% or higher to pass. The Medical Terminology Assessment is included in the tuition for the MCCP. Students who do not achieve a passing score on the Medical Terminology Assessment will need to successfully complete Libman Education’s Introduction to Medical Terminology (additional fee applies).
Textbooks and Required Resources
The required textbooks for the MCCP are included as eBooks and provided to students at no additional cost.
In addition, students will need to purchase or have access to coding books not included in the program fee:
Other generally recommended resources for coding education: