Introduction to the structure and design of the ICD-10-PCS system and coding guidelines. Course provides education on assigning codes within the medical and surgical section of ICD-10-PCS, with complete education on the 31 root operations used in the coding process.
Students who complete this course will be able to:
- Identify the code format, system structure, and design of ICD-10-PCS.
- Demonstrate the code building process through the use of the index and tables.
- Apply Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting of ICD-10-PCS codes.
- Given a case scenario, select the necessary statements to code and apply Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting to support an accurate code assignment.
Developed by one of the textbook authors, this course guides the learner through the first six chapters of the accompanying textbook and includes additional examples, exercises, case studies and coding tips not found within the textbook.
Purchase separately or as part of the Complete ICD-10-PCS Training Package!
ICD-10-PCS, Part 1: The Med/Surg Section
The course consists of six lessons. Each lesson takes approximately 60 minutes to complete.
Lesson 1: System Structure and Design
– Code format
– System structure
– Coding building process
– Additional resources in the Index
Lesson 2: ICD-10-PCS Coding Guidelines
– Content of the ICD-10-PCS Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting
– Examples to demonstrate the use of the Guidelines
– Application of the Guidelines to coding scenarios
Lesson 3: Root Operations that Take Out All or Part of a Body Part or Solids/Fluids/Gases
– Definitions of and code assignment with: Excision, Resection, Detachment, Destruction, Extraction, Drainage, Extirpation, Fragmentation
Lesson 4: Root Operations that Cut or Separate, Put In or Put Back or Move Body Parts
– Definitions of and code assignment with: Division, Release, Transplantation, Reattachment, Transfer, Reposition
Lesson 5: Root Operations that Alter the Diameter or Route or Involve a Device
– Definitions of and code assignment with: Restriction, Occlusion, Dilation, Bypass, Insertion, Replacement, Supplement, Change, Removal, Revision
Lesson 6: Root Operations that Involve Examination Only, Other Repairs or Other Objectives
– Definitions of and code assignment with: Inspection, Map, Control, Repair, Fusion, Alteration, Creation
Special pricing available for groups. Train your entire team!
|How Many In Your Group?
||Group Discount %
||Contact Us for Your Custom Price Quote:
“Lynn Kuehn, in my mind, is the Queen of Coding Education. She has the ability to take a difficult, confusing subject and make it very easily understood.” — Charlotte Bumgarner
“I wanted to let you know that I passed my AAPC ‘Certified Inpatient Coder’ certification exam on the first try! I feel certain that Libman’s ICD-10-PCS online course helped me achieve that goal!” — Lisa M., COC, CPC, CIC, CPB, CANPC, COSC, CEMA, CEMA-O
“I just finished the first section of ICD-10-PCS. Very well done. Definitely will help me in learning this system.” — Nannette B
“Lynn is an inspirational teacher. She ignites a passion for coding within you!” — Kristen T
“Lynn, your explanations are clear, concise and to the point. Recommend it to any and all. It is a confidence booster!” — Leslie C
“I consistently learn from Lynn Kuehn. Thank you!”
“Lynn: I look for everything you have on the internet. You have a wonderful concise way of presenting material that is so easy to understand. All of us learn differently and your slides help us ‘Visual learners.’ keep up the great work. I will be ordering your flash cards! Many thanks.”
“I met Lynn at ICD-10 training. She is a great trainer of ICD-10.” — Linda D., RHIT, CCS
“I love the ICD-10-PCS An Applied Approach text. It delves into complex material.” — Carole G., RHIT, CCS, Coding Consultant
“Any of Libman Education’s courses are worth time and cost. Always walk away with a useable, clarity or reinforcement of subject matter.”
“I just wanted to let you know that the articles written by Lynn are a great help. I read them all the time and learn something new each time. Please let her know what a fine job she does.” — Kira G., RHIT, IP Coder III
“Lynn always has a way of getting the information across in a simple, understandable way!” — Janice N.
“Just heard Gail and Lynne’s PCS workshop – fantastic information and terrific speakers!!” — Jacqueline F., RHIT, CCS, DRG Validation Specialist
ICD-10-PCS: An Applied Approach by Lynn Kuehn and Teri Jorwic, published by the American Health Information Management Association. The 2020 edition is available for purchase from AHIMA here and Amazon here.
ICD-10-PCS Code Book – 2020 or students may elect to use electronic files
Root Operation Flash Cards
This set of nine 5×7, laminated, double-sided ICD-10-PCS Root Operations Flash Cards, designed by nationally recognized ICD-10 expert Gail I. Smith, MA, RHIA, CCS-P, prepares you to select the appropriate root operation with confidence.
Approach Decision Tree Flash Cards
The ICD-10-PCS Approach Decision Tree, developed by nationally recognized ICD-10-PCS expert, Lynn Kuehn, is a two-sided, laminated flashcard providing both the approach decision tree plus definitions of the seven different approaches in a handy, easy-to-use format.