How to code procedures in the Medical and Surgical-related and Ancillary sections of ICD-10-PCS, including obstetrics, imaging, mental health, and more: definitions of root operations, index and table concepts, and selecting the correct characters based on the documentation. Also master new root operations, root procedures, and root types within the last 15 sections of PCS.
ICD-10-PCS: Med/Surg-related and Ancillary
Lynn Kuehn, MS, RHIA, CCS-P, FAHIMA
How to code procedures in the Medical and Surgical-related and Ancillary Sections of ICD-10-PCS, including obstetrics, imaging, mental health, and more: definitions of root operations, index and table concepts, and selecting the correct characters based on the documentation. Also master new root operations, root procedures, and root types within the last 15 sections of ICD-10-PCS.
Students who complete this course will be able to:
- Identify the code format, system structure, and design of ICD-10-PCS.
- Demonstrate the code building process through the use of the index and tables.
- Apply Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting of ICD-10-PCS codes.
- Given a case scenario, select the necessary statements to code and apply Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting to support an accurate code assignment.
There is always more to learn in coding! If mastering ICD-10-PCS is on your ‘to-do’ list, consider Libman Education’s eLearning Library: Inpatient Coding. An affordable option that offers on-demand access to mastery-level courses to enhance job-specific, self-paced learning for one full year.
ICD-10-PCS: Med/Surg-Related and Ancillary
Lesson 1 introduces the structure and design of the Obstetrics section
Lesson 2 covers the Placement, Administration, Measurement and Monitoring sections of ICD-10-PCS
Lesson 3 helps you learn about the Extracorporeal Assistance, Performance and Therapies sections
Lesson 4 shows you the Osteopathic, Other Procedures and Chiropractic sections
Lesson 5 covers the Imaging, Nuclear Medicine and Radiation Oncology sections
Lesson 6 introduces you to the Physical Rehabilitation and Diagnostic Audiology, Mental Health, and Substance Abuse Treatment sections of ICD-10-PCS
The level of effort to complete this course, start to finish, is equivalent to 6 CEUs and should take you approximately 6-18 hours to complete. Remember: You have access to the course materials for the full 16-week enrollment period and we encourage you to re-review any materials that are helpful to you.
Certificate of Completion
Upon successful completion of the course work, student will be able to download a Libman Education Certificate of Completion. The Certificate of Completion will list the course as awarding 6 CEUs.
AHIMA: 6 CEUs
This course has been approved for continuing education units (CEUs) for use in fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Granting prior approval from AHIMA does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
AAPC: 6 CEUs
This program has the prior approval of AAPC for continuing education hours. Granting of prior approval in no way constitutes endorsement by AAPC of the program content or the program sponsor.
- WebinarPlus™ multimedia and interactive online course promotes engagement with challenging materials while offering independent self-study.
- Teaching methods including audio and video files, diagrams, and animations to accommodate different learning styles. Where appropriate, the Merck Manual Professional Version supplements course materials with in-depth descriptions of diagnoses and/or procedures.
- Knowledge checks and/or final assessment ensure mastery of material.
- Online Flexibility! Materials available via secure Learning Management System (LMS). Work at your own pace — save time and travel costs.
- Earn Libman Education Certificate of Completion and CEUs.
- To receive CEU credit, students must achieve a passing rate on the course assessment(s).
- Course is self-paced. For planning purposes, assume 1-3 hours required for each CEU.
- Unlimited course access during enrollment period. For courses offering greater than one CEU, enrollment period is 16 weeks. For courses offering one or fewer CEUs, enrollment period is 4 weeks. Courses purchased as a bundle or package may have a longer enrollment period.
- Extensions to the enrollment period are available. Contact Libman Education for pricing.
- Price listed is per person/per course. Group rates available upon request.
“Lynn Kuehn is the best in the country with PCS coding.” — Roberta Walker, Inpatient Coding Educator at Hawaii Pacific Health
“I have known Lynn a long time and I’ve been working with coders and those external auditors who audit coding for over 40 years. Lynn is not only the best at PCS coding but also with the Anatomy and Physiology that are involved to better understand what goes on in complex operations.” — Roberta Walker, Inpatient Coding Educator at Hawaii Pacific Health
“Lynn Kuehn, in my mind, is the Queen of Coding Education. She has the ability to take a difficult, confusing subject and make it very easily understood.” — Charlotte Bumgarner
“I wanted to let you know that I passed my AAPC ‘Certified Inpatient Coder’ certification exam on the first try! I feel certain that Libman’s ICD-10-PCS online course helped me achieve that goal!” — Lisa M., COC, CPC, CIC, CPB, CANPC, COSC, CEMA, CEMA-O
“Lynn is an inspirational teacher. She ignites a passion for coding within you!” — Kristen T
“Lynn, your explanations are clear, concise and to the point. Recommend it to any and all. It is a confidence booster!” — Leslie C
“I met Lynn at ICD-10 training. She is a great trainer of ICD-10.” — Linda D., RHIT, CCS
“I consistently learn from Lynn Kuehn. Thank you!”
“Lynn: I look for everything you have on the internet. You have a wonderful concise way of presenting material that is so easy to understand. All of us learn differently and your slides help us ‘Visual learners.’ keep up the great work. I will be ordering your flash cards! Many thanks.”
“I love the ICD-10-PCS An Applied Approach text. It delves into complex material.” — Carole Getchell, RHIT, CCS, Coding Consultant
“Any of Libman Education’s courses are worth time and cost. Always walk away with a useable, clarity or reinforcement of subject matter.”
“I just wanted to let you know that the articles written by Lynn are a great help. I read them all the time and learn something new each time. Please let her know what a fine job she does.” — Kira G., RHIT, IP Coder III
“Lynn always has a way of getting the information across in a simple, understandable way!” — Janice N.
“Just heard Gail and Lynne’s PCS workshop – fantastic information and terrific speakers!!” — Jacqueline F., RHIT, CCS, DRG Validation Specialist
- ICD-10-PCS Code Book – 2022 or students may elect to use electronic files
- ICD-10-PCS: An Applied Approach by Lynn Kuehn and Teri Jorwic is published by the American Health Information Management Association. While AHIMA is not publishing a 2022 edition, the 2021 edition has been supplemented with a “2022 Update Document” in the Student Resources (accessed using the information inside the front cover of the text). The book is available for purchase from AHIMA here and Amazon here. 2023 version coming this November.
- Medical dictionary
- Anatomy and physiology reference
- Merck Manual
This set of nine 5×7, laminated, double-sided ICD-10-PCS Root Operations Flash Cards, designed by nationally recognized ICD-10 expert Gail I. Smith, MA, RHIA, CCS-P, prepares you to select the appropriate root operation with confidence.
The ICD-10-PCS Approach Decision Tree, developed by nationally recognized ICD-10-PCS expert, Lynn Kuehn, is a two-sided, laminated flashcard providing both the approach decision tree plus definitions of the seven different approaches in a handy, easy-to-use format.
With ICD-10-PCS, it is not a matter of looking up a procedure in the code book, it requires an Integrative Approach! Join Lynn Kuehn, MS, RHIA, CCS-P, FAHIMA, for this brief demonstration. The video shows details from Lynn’s ICD-10-PCS: Cardiac Procedure Coding to demonstrate Libman Education’s Integrative Approach to mastering ICD-10-PCS.
Train your entire team and Save Big! Discount automatically applied at checkout.
|How Many In Your Group?||Group Discount %|
|21+||Contact Us for Your Custom Price Quote|