Currently being updated, the course is expected to be available by March 2021. Join our waitlist to be notified when the course is available.
Fundamentals of Inpatient Auditing is designed to help you quickly gain the knowledge and skills you need to assume responsibilities as an inpatient auditor and gain hands-on experience in inpatient auditing. Written in collaboration with major medical employers, the program builds on your experience as an inpatient coder to help you advance your HIM career in this growing area.
Fundamentals of Inpatient Auditing consists of four sequential courses:
- Describe the fundamentals of hospital inpatient auditing.
- Identify various audit types including internal and external, and random versus focused.
- Explain how to scope an audit based on audit type.
- Articulate how to analyze data and look for problem areas for targeted audits.
- Recall concepts of statistical sampling methods.
- Understand what it takes to complete a successful audit.
- Understand the common, high-risk errors identified during an audit.
- Learn the best practices for capturing audit results and reporting them.
- Audit case scenarios that will be reviewed for applied learning.
- Refresh fundamentals of good writing.
- Identify the key stakeholders for the audit results.
- Understand the scope of a written audit summary report.
- Learn how to develop an audit summary report.
- Describe various ways to deliver the audit results.
- Identify the appropriate use of a PowerPoint presentation.
- Review tips for managing an effective meeting.
- Complete a written audit summary report.
- Conduct an audit through application of auditing principles to a variety of inpatient records.
- Accurately complete an audit worksheet.
- Accurately analyze audit findings.
- Communicate the results of the audit in writing by submission of an Audit Summary Report.
- Verbally communicate the audit results by submission of two PowerPoint-led, recorded presentations, each of which is appropriate for a specific audience.
- Submit a PowerPoint (file only, not a recorded presentation) for a third audience.
Who should consider Fundamentals of Inpatient Auditing?
- Coding professionals with experience in coding of inpatient records
- Coders with a working knowledge of quality initiatives, DRG assignment and case mix index, MACs, RACs, and the importance of accurate clinical documentation
- Coders defending coding accuracy in addressing denials from external auditors
Written in collaboration with major medical employers, the program builds on your experience as an inpatient coder to help you advance your HIM career in this growing area. Fundamentals of Inpatient Auditing provides real world skills in demand by employers:
- Hands-on experience as auditor. Students perform audits on 50 to 100 cases using a set of criteria to evaluate the accuracy of inpatient coding practice and proper reimbursement.
- Presentation of information. An opportunity to develop written and verbal report presentation techniques.
- Both the technical and soft skills required to be a good auditor
Libman Education is an authorized reseller of CareerStep’s Fundamentals of Inpatient Auditing.