Core Coding Skills for the Outpatient Coder
Core Coding Skills for the Outpatient Coder provides the essential workforce training necessary for an entry-level outpatient coder. Learn the primary coding systems used in the outpatient setting (ICD-10-CM and CPT) plus hands-on, real-world practical experience in accurate and complete coding. Start your career today!
CEUs: 51 AHIMA 46 AAPC
Price per person. Group rates available.
Core Coding Skills for the Outpatient Coder provides the essential training necessary for an entry-level outpatient coder.
- Introduction to the Health Information Management function within hospitals
- Essential training in the primary coding systems used in the outpatient setting:
- ICD-10-CM for diagnoses
- CPT for outpatient hospital services
- Hands-on, real-world practical coding experience in accurate and complete coding
- Surgical Day Care/Ambulatory Surgery
- Emergency Room
- Laboratory and other Ancillary Services
- Understanding the role of coding in reimbursement
The program consists of Libman Education’s exclusive materials and may be taken sequentially or concurrently. Start the learning today with these online, self-paced courses available 24/7; the 24-week enrollment period provides ongoing access to complex training materials.
Interested in both outpatient and inpatient coding? Core Coding Skills for the Hospital Coder provides the essential workforce training necessary for an entry-level hospital coder. Learn the primary coding systems used in hospitals (ICD-10-CM; ICD-10-PCS; and CPT) plus hands-on, real-world practical experience in accurate and complete coding.
The program consists of Libman Education’s exclusive materials. Courses may be taken sequentially or concurrently.
Principles of Health Information Management – Introduction to the HIM function in hospitals including the structure and use of health information, health record data management, health record documentation, healthcare delivery systems, and regulatory and compliance issues.
ICD-10-CM: Diagnosis Coding – ICD-10-CM is used by hospitals, physicians, insurance companies, data analysts, and others to describe patient conditions. This foundational course introduces the structure, function, and application of ICD-10-CM.
CPT: Introduction to Procedural Coding – Provides a unique approach to mastering CPT coding. Breaking it down to three steps of progressive learning: gain foundational understanding of the CPT coding system and its unique attributes; learn how CPT coding accurately captures procedures in the different body systems; and practice your new CPT skills on real-world procedural cases.
Practical Coding Experience: Outpatient – Practical, hands-on experience assigning ICD-10-CM diagnosis and CPT (and HCPCS) procedure codes to a wide range of outpatient health records: physician-based, ambulatory, clinics, emergency room, and surgical day care.
Fundamentals of Reimbursement: Outpatient Services – Understand the complexities of the healthcare reimbursement system and its role in ensuring accurate and appropriate reimbursement for outpatient services.
Medical record coders require foundational knowledge in certain key areas: anatomy, physiology, medical terminology, pharmacology, and pathophysiology. Course work in these topics is essential prior to commencing a program of study in coding.
The Libman Education Medical Coding Foundational Skills program equips coders with the knowledge needed for a successful medical record coding career (additional fee applies). The Medical Coding Foundational Skills program consists of four carefully selected courses:
- Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology – Understanding Anatomy and Physiology is foundational to medical record coding and other healthcare disciplines. This complete and interactive online course, developed by Libman Education utilizing the online resources of Cengage Learning, explores the anatomical structures and physiology of the human body. Each body system is discussed in detail.
- Introduction to Medical Terminology – This complete and interactive online course, developed by Libman Education utilizing the online resources of Cengage Learning, explores the language used by medical professionals to accurately describe the human body and associated components, conditions, processes and procedures. Understanding commonly used medical terminology is foundational to medical record coding and other healthcare disciplines.
- Introduction to Pharmacology – Introduction to Pharmacology, developed by Libman Education utilizing the online resources of Cengage Learning, is a complete and interactive online course offering a primer on the principles and basics of pharmacology, introducing students to the principles of clinical application, including basic pharmacokinetics, dosage forms, and drug administration.
- Introduction to Pathophysiology – Pathophysiology explores the function and symptoms of diseased organs for purposes of diagnosis and patient care. This complete and interactive online course, developed by Libman Education utilizing the online resources of Cengage Learning, is foundational to the work of medical record coders.
Angela Gerbert, BS, CCS, CDIP, CIC, COC, Approved-Instructor
Angela Gerbert applies a hands-on approach to her role as the Director of Education for Libman Education. Whether overseeing the work of subject matter experts including nationally recognized coding authorities; challenging instructional designers to deliver content in a way that is both engaging and memorable; or tapping her 25 years’ experience in inpatient, outpatient, and emergency room coding to write coder-friendly courses herself, Angela is responsible for ensuring that our training is accurate, easily accessible, and challenging.
Angela enjoys working individually with current students to answer their questions regarding course content and with prospective students to identify the appropriate curriculum to support their career objectives. Angela believes in the transformational power of education to help individuals achieve their personal and career goals and for organizations to achieve operating success.
Angela holds a bachelor’s degree in Healthcare Management and holds Certified Coding Specialist, Certified Documentation Improvement Practitioner from AHIMA as well as the Certified Inpatient Coder, Certified Outpatient Coder, and the Certified Professional Coder Instructor certifications from AAPC.
“I truly thank you Libman Group for your wonderful courses that have contributed to my success.” — Leslie Jay Corn, CCS, CPC, CCA/ER Coding Analyst/Boston Medical Center OR LogixHealth
“The quality of the courses that Libman presents is excellent” — Pamela S., RN, BSN, MSN, CCDS, Director, Clinical Documentation Improvement, Sharp Healthcare
“I tell everyone about Libman. I find that you have a very wide variety of choices in education that is actually needed and not so many things that aren’t really needed and can be mind boggling just trying to sift through it. Your website is well organized and everything offered is so well laid out and very informative as far as what you are getting, what I need and a very thorough write-up on everything offered. I’m so thrilled to have found your site!” — Sharon T
“LOVEEE Libman! Very happy with the classes I’ve taken.” — Linda C.
“I love the courses at Libman Education.” — Joanne S., CCS
“Libman has exceeded my expectations so far in every way, with the content of courses, but the hands on with the instructors is one of the best and most genius things to offer! All other companies I’ve seen in my 12 years in this field do not offer this invaluable service with their education. Answers to questions on education content is something that was desperately needed, but to my knowledge, it was/is not offered anywhere else and this is what sets Libman apart from the rest. Also, your high quality education and very knowledgeable instructors.” — coding student
Principles of Health Information Management
Essentials Of Health Information Management: Principles And Practices, Fourth Edition by Mary Jo Bowie, MS, BS, AAS, RHIA, RHIT (The ebook for this course is included in the tuition. There are no additional books to purchase.)
ICD-10-CM: Diagnosis Coding
CPT: Introduction to Procedural Coding
CPT® Code Book – 2020
Practical Coding Experience: Outpatient
Clinical Coding Workout with Odd-Numbered Online Answers, 2020, published by AHIMA
Fundamentals of Reimbursement: Outpatient Services
All materials are included within the online course. There is no textbook to purchase.
Other generally recommended resources for coding education: