by Angela Gerbert, BS, CDIP, CCS, CIC, CPC-I
Do you need a coding credential? Perhaps your job requires it. Have you been considering sitting for the Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) or Certified Coding Associate (CCA) exams offered by AHIMA? Is the thought of attempting these difficult-to-achieve coding credentials overwhelming?
You can do this! And we can help!
Libman Education offers free 30-day study plans to help CCS or CCA candidates prepare for these coding credential exams. The 30-day study plans are set up so that you study about an hour a day and take some days off. Adjust the plan to fit your schedule. If you need to skip a day, double up on your studies the next day or later in the week when you have time.
Trying to decide between the CCS and CCA?
The Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) is a mastery level coding credential and work experience applying codes is strongly recommended. Holders of a CCS demonstrate mastery level skills in hospital-based inpatient and outpatient coding. The eligibility requirements for the CCS are set by AHIMA as follows:
– By Credential: RHIA®, RHIT®, or CCS-P® OR
– By Education: The following courses MUST be completed; anatomy & physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, medical terminology, reimbursement methodology, intermediate/advanced ICD diagnostic/procedural and CPT coding; OR
– By Experience: Minimum of two (2) years of related coding experience directly applying codes; OR
– By Credential with Experience: CCA® plus one (1) year of coding experience directly applying codes; OR
– Other Coding credential from other certifying organization plus one (1) year coding experience directly applying codes.
The Certified Coding Associate (CCA) is considered a more entry-level credential. Holders of a CCA exhibit coding competency in any setting, including both hospitals and physician practices. The eligibility requirements for the CCA are set by AHIMA as follows:
– High School Diploma or equivalent
Pick the CSS Exam Preparation that is Best for You!
Whether you are a medical coder or a CDI Specialist, choose the path that best fits your learning style and develop the skills you need to pass the CCS! Learn more here.
Certified Coding Associate (CCA) Exam Review
Prepares candidates to sit for AHIMA’s Certified Coding Associate (CCA) credential exam. Online, self-paced, comprehensive review of materials covered on the CCA credential exam including ICD-10-CM, ICD-10-PCS, and CPT coding; reimbursement methodologies; and valuable study and test-taking strategies. Includes a mock CCA practice assessment. Learn more here.